Student Leadership Institute
The Student Leadership Institute (SLI) at Rio Hondo College is a non-credit certificate program in partnership with California State University, Fullerton (CSUF). SLI Students are required to attend a series of workshops which will earn them a leadership certificate from CSUF upon program completion. Workshops are offered through three (3) mandatory conferences, and focus on developing necessary skills for effective leadership and overall character.
Participation in SLI is free of charge and open to all RHC students. There are no minimum requirements for units enrolled, grade point average, or prior leadership experience for program participation.
Reasons to Join
- Acquire and develop the skills and awareness necessary to become an effective leader on campus, in your community, and in your career.
- Earn a leadership certificate signed by the CSUF college president, a very marketable tool on your resume and on transfer applications.
- Learn the value of networking through program participation and interaction with fellow students, faculty, staff, and administration.
- Learn to communicate effectively with confidence and develop confidence in your abilities to explore challenging issues.
- Understand and develop an increased awareness of current leadership styles and issues of diversity.
- Develop life skills that are essential to achieving established goals and objectives.
- Be engaged in co-curricular activities that will augment academic learning.”
October 25th, 2013
January 17th, 2014
April 11th, 2014
|Core Workshops:||Track Core Workshops:||Elective Workshops - may include:|
|o Ethical Decision Making
o Introduction to Leadership
o Leading and Managing a Diverse Group
|o Communication Styles
o Teamwork and Collaboration
o Time Management
o Vision and Goal Setting
|o LGBTQIA Issues
o Understanding “Isms”
o Public Speaking
o Dealing with Difficult People
o Event Planning 3
o Exploring Ethnicity
o Finding an Internship
o Leading for Social Change
o Experiential Learning – Writing Lab
How to Apply
WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE
2013-2014 COHORT 3 OF THE STUDENT LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE (SLI)
There are 100 seats in the program, and priority goes to the first students who complete an application and attend a mandatory Leadership Orientation as well as student leaders of the Associated Students of Rio Hondo College and Student Ambassadors. Students will be notified of their acceptance in the program by October 11, 2013.
To apply to the Student Leadership Institute
1) Complete the online application or a hardcopy application from the Student Life & Leadership Department in the Student Union Second Floor SU-201
2) Attend a mandatory Leadership Orientation which takes place within the first month of each fall semester. Leadership Orientations will provide information on conference schedules and program details.
For more information please contact:
Jasmine López - SU-204 | 562-908-3427 | email@example.com
Current SLI Students - Login to your OrgSync Account